The Brisk Beat
ABOUT THE BRISK BEAT:
A short group or private tour through the heart of Dharavi
On our unique Dharavi Slum Tour, the visitors travel on foot across the slums of Dharavi. This slum area in Mumbai is the heart of various small-scale industries in the city. En-route through one of the largest slums in Asia, travelers experience a wide range of these activities such as recycling, embroidery, bakery, pottery-making, soap factory, poppadom-making, leather tanning and many more. Apart from the business aspect of Dharavi, visitors get to witness a secular nation with a spirit of survival through the lives of these slum dwellers. Citizens from all over India dwell in Dharavi and yet create a sense of unity. Through the narrow alleys of the Dharavi slum one can feel their adventurous spirit bursting open while enlightening themselves of a world beyond the cozy cottages.
This tour is a quarter day on-foot experience, abolishing all preconceived notions of this large slum area in Mumbai. Dharavi is much more than a historic area of Mumbai's poverty. Dharavi's industries get an annual turnover of approximately US$ 665 million and this tour shows how most of that revenue is created, through a wide range of these activities: recycling, pottery-making, embroidery, bakery, soap factory, leather tanning, poppadom-making and many more. Most of these things are created innovatively, in very small spaces! Another aspect that the visitors witness is the diversity in religion, custom and belief. However a sense of unity is definitely experienced, even from an outsider's point of view. When passing through the residential spaces, you will most certainly feel the sense of community and spirit that exists in this slum area in Mumbai. The diversity is apparent in the temples, mosques and churches that stand side by side. An unforgettable view of endless tin hutments accommodating so many lives along with sounds of various machines and animals. It is like the architecture was designed to leave you breathless.
- Group Tour: 650 Rupees per person. You will be accompanied with up to six other travelers,
- Private Tour: 4,000 Rupees.You can bring a maximum of six people on your private tour.
- Operates every day
- Duration: 2 - 2.5 hours
- Morning Tour: 9:00 AM
- Afternoon Tour: 2:00 PM
- Evening Tour: 6:00 PM
- Morning Tour: Churchgate Railway Station Near Ticket Counter
- Afternoon Tour: Cafe Coffee Day, opposite to Mahim west Railway Station
- Evening Tour: Cafe Coffee Day, opposite to Mahim west Railway Station
- RECYCLING AREA: Everything old, from plastics to metal, come from all over to be recycled in Dharavi. See the recycling plants in which separation and melting of the wastes takes place.
- BAKERY: Khari Biscuits hot and fresh from the source, available in every kind and served on a platter!
- POPADDOM MAKING: Watch the Dharavi women making poppadoms, the essential appetizer before every Indian meal. It is done by drying them on wooden baskets, turned upside-down.
- RESIDENTIAL HOUSES: Bask in the creativity of the humble dwellings of the incredible people of Dharavi.
- KUMBHARWADA POTTERY COLONY: Watch artisans create all types of pots out of unfired, sun dried clay and even learn a thing or two.